Canada is 150 years old!
Show us what you know by participating in our trivia quiz!
We will post five questions every second week from February to November.
If you answer all five questions correctly, we will enter your name in the draw. Every two weeks, answer the quiz and you will have another chance to win. Prizes will be awarded every three months.
“Googling” is permitted!
Here are the answers for Quiz #10’s questions :
- Name the province that joined Confederation on July 1st, 1873. Answer : Prince Edward Island was the 5th province to join Canada, on July 1st, 1873.
- On Canada Day, 1999, the Canadian flag was flown improperly on Parliament Hill. What was wrong (the flag was the wrong color, the flag was flown upside down, an improper flagpole was used, the falg was flown too low) ? Answer : The flag was flown upside down.
- All of the following internationally-known actors (Dan Aykroyd, Pamela Anderson, Geneviève Bujold and Christopher Plummer) are Canadian. Which one was NOT born on July 1st ? Answer : Christopher Plummer was born on December 13th, 1929.
- “O Canada” became our national anthem on a particular July 1st . What year was it (1940, 1950, 1960, 1970 or 1980) ? Answer : 1980 was the year “O Canada” was chosen as our official national anthem, exactly 100 years after it was composed to be sung for the Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day celebration (Quebec’s national day) in 1880!
- July 1st is also popularly known as “moving day” in the province of Quebec. Newfoundland is another province which celebrates nationhood together with another event on July 1st . What is that event? Answer : Before Newfoundland joined Canada in 1949, July 1st had already been chosen as their Memorial Day which remembers the loss of approximately 700 soldiers who died in 1917 during the First World War. Today, the first half of each July 1st commemorates Memorial Day while the second half celebrates Canada Day.
Congratulations to everyone with all the right answers! You are now eligible for the next prize draw!
The “Happy Birthday Canada” Quiz will be taking a short summer break over the next few weeks. Keep watching so that you do not miss the next round of questions which will appear soon!