21st Annual Short Prose Competition for Developing Writers
The Writers’ Union of Canada is pleased to announce that submissions are being accepted until March 1, 2014 for the 21st Annual Short Prose Competition for Developing Writers. The winning entry will be the best Canadian work of up to 2,500 words in the English language, fiction or non-fiction, written by an unpublished author.
$2,500 for the winning entry, and the entries of the winner and finalists will be submitted to three Canadian magazines.
Writers Mark Abley, Ranj Dhaliwal, and Erin Dunham will serve as the jury.
This competition is open to all Canadian citizens and landed immigrants who have not had a book published in any genre and who do not currently have a contract with a book publisher. Original and unpublished (English language) fiction or non-fiction is eligible.
HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES:
• Entries should be typed, double-spaced, in a clear twelve-point font, and the pages numbered on 8.5 x 11 paper, not stapled.
• Submissions will be accepted in hardcopy only.
• Include a separate cover letter with title of story, full name, address, phone number, email address, word count, and number of pages of entry.
• Please type the name of entrant and the title of entry on each numbered page. This is not a blind competition.
• Make cheque or money order payable to The Writers’ Union of Canada. Multiple entries can be submitted together and fees can be added and paid with one cheque or money order, $29 per entry.
• Entries must be postmarked by March 1, 2014 to be eligible.
• Mail entries to: SPC Competition, The Writers’ Union of Canada, 90 Richmond Street East, Suite 200, Toronto, ON M5C 1P1.
Results will be posted at www.writersunion.ca in May 2014. Manuscripts will not be returned.